One of the fastest growing social media sites is Pinterest. Pinterest is a virtual pin board which allows users to organize and share things found on the web. Users can “pin” anything from an image, article, video or recipe onto their “pin boards” to organize their ideas. You can pin an original image or you can “repin” someone’s pin by sharing it.
Joining Pinterest is fast and easy!
- Go to pinterest.com
- Enter an email address and a password and click “Sign up.”
- Enter a first and last name and click “Next.” Pinterest will send you a confirmation email.
Pinterest will then show you some examples of topics you might be interested in. Click on the box next topics you are interested in.
Getting Started with Pinterest:
- Pinterest will then show you some examples of topics you might be interested in. Click on the box next to topics you are interested in.
- Pinterest will then take these topics and display pins on your homepage that you might be interested in. You can always add more topics later on to customize your Pinterest.
- Once you are done selecting topics click “Next.” After you click “Next” the Pinterest home screen will appear.
The Home Screen
- Click on the Pinterest logo to go back to the home screen.
- Search Pinterest for interesting ideas, recipes, images and MORE!
- Instead of searching based on keywords, browse the Pinterest categories. These categories are constantly changing based around holidays and upcoming events.
- Click on your name to go to your profile where you can search all of your boards in addition to checking your settings.
- Check out your notifications and any messages your might receive.
Pinning and Creating Boards
Once you find something interesting you are going to want to pin it to a board so that you can revisit it in the future. Pinning, repinning, and organizing those pins on boards is what Pinterest is all about. You can always add an original pin to Pinterest or as you are browsing through Pinterest you can repin something posted by another person to your board.
The Art of Repinning (and creating a Board)
- After browsing through Pinterest and finding a pin that you like the next step is to repin it to one of your boards.
- There are two ways to pin something to a board:
- Hover your cursor over the pin and click on the “Pin It” red button.
- Click on the pin itself to learn more and then click on the “Pin it” button.
- If you are new to Pinterest you will not have any boards to pin this to so you will have to create your first board. If you are not new to Pinterest you can always select a pre-existing board to continue to add to it. You can always add more boards and its encouraged in order to keep everything organized.
- Click on “Create your first board” and type in what you want your board to be called. For examples of board names: Recipes, Travel Ideas, Knitting Patterns, Books to Read, and more!
- After you create your board (or select a board if you have pre-existing boards) click the “Pin it” button and you have just successfully repined and created a new board!
- Click on “Create a Board” to create a new board.
- “Edit Profile” will allow you to: change your name, add a picture, say something about yourself, add a website and add a location.
- The gear provides the following options:
- Account settings: where you can manage your account.
- Make a Widget: to add to a website.
- Click on the + sign to upload a pin from your computer or to create a new board.
There is so much to see and do on Pinterest which is why it is continuing to grow in popularity. Come check out our Pinterest class to learn more!
Class registration begins two weeks before the class date and is required for all computer classes. To register call 216-932-3600 or visit us online at http://events.heightslibrary.org/computer-classes/.